Sunday, January 3, 2016

My One Word: Intentional

Have you heard about the "One Word" phenomenon?  The #oneword idea promotes becoming your best self without goals or wish lists.  You only focus on your #oneword, and by focusing you become a better version of yourself.  This is all based on the One Word book that is designed to be read in 45 minutes.  Check out the One Word site if you're interested in being inspired by what others chose as their #oneword2016.  

After a lot of thought and reflection, my #oneword2016 is.... 



I want to be intentional.
  • Be an intentional teacher - Remember, I work with 6-year-olds.  They are someone's baby.  I have the priviledge, not the right, to work with them each day.  I need to be intentional by calling each of them by name and making a connection with each of them each day.  I need to remember that they only have one shot at first grade and I only have one shot with them.  I need to be intentional about ensuring it is the best possible experience they could have with me.  
  • Be an intentional mom, sister, daughter, granddaughter - Like with my students, the days pass too quickly with my family.  I need to be intentional about my time spent with them.  Many of you know I have a third grade son, Carson.  I need to be intentional about the quality of our time together.  Just like my students, I only have one shot at this.  I need to make sure my time with him isn't only nagging about cleaning up or doing homework.  I will work to be intentional about balancing the mundane tasks of running a household and enjoying the very precious time that seems to be flying.  Many of you also know that I am very close to my grandparents.  I will be intentional about ensuring the time I spend with them is learning as much as I possibly can from these incredible individuals.  Whether it be a dry joke from Dutch or the art of quilting from Judy, I will be intentional about being present when I am with them.  
  • Be an intentional listener - I need to work on this in all areas of my life.  I need to do less talking and more listening as a mom, sister, daughter, granddaughter, teacher, friend, colleague, community member, etc.  When I say I need to be a better listener, I mean I need to do more than just being quiet and letting the other person talk.  (And to those of you that know me well know this WILL be a challenge!)   I will be intentional about really hearing others and give my best effort to understand what they are saying.
  • Be an intentional learner - Since finishing my graduate program, the amount of professional reading I've done has dropped.  I will be an intentional learner in 2016 by reading more and seeking more opportunities to learn from my peers and friends at the Grant Wood AEA and on Twitter.  I am surrounded by experts and need to seek their advice more regularly.  This is how I will do more and be better for my students.  Often times, I am able to make connections through learning for my professional world to my personal world as well.  I will be intentional about making sure I am looking for and taking these opportunities.  My students and my son deserve a teacher and mom who is willing to learn.  
  • Be intentional about caring for myself - Balance has always been a challenge for me.  In so many ways, I need to be intentional about taking better care of myself.  That's it.  No long, drawn out thoughts on this one.  Mind, body, and soul - I need to be intentional about caring for myself.  
  • Be intentional about being present - I think back to the days that I was in college and couldn't afford the internet at home when I think about being more present.  No, I don't plan on cancelling my internet subscription because the internet helps me in too many ways.  However, I need to be intentional about not letting it get in the way of things that are more important; like time with Carson.  As of now, the internet seems to be my biggest distraction.  Being intentional about being present will help in so many areas of my life, but I know this could be the most challenging for me.  
Here's to being intentional about being a better, kinder, more present individual in 2016! 




No comments:

Post a Comment