Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Narrative Writing

The first grade team across the Benton Community School District came up with a goal early in the year.  Our is centered around the idea of having students include more detail in their narrative writing pieces.  Soon, I will be attaching a small piece of paper to your child's narrative writing pieces to give you and your first grader an idea of where they stand as far as reaching the goal.  The most complete smiley face being writing of the highest quality and the face with only one eye being a piece that needs to add more detail.  We have made an example to show students what the different levels of writing quality look and sound like.  It also gives them key words like FIRST, NEXT, THEN, and FINALLY to use in their writing pieces.  

I will discuss this more at conference time, but I wanted to give you a heads up before then.  

Keep having your student write in their take-home journal.  I love looking back to the beginning of the journal and see how much each of them has transformed as a writer already this year.  I will be sending out info about a writing incentive to motivate your first grader.  

No comments:

Post a Comment