Recently, we discussed
what narrative writing is and how we can produce narrative writing pieces. So far, students have been writing about real
life situations they’ve had. Our focus
with this practice is to help students consistently use capital letters and
ending punctuation and add detail to their pieces. Four signal words we’ve been using to help
sequence narratives are as follows: first,
then, next, and finally. Answering questions based on the five senses has also helped students
add detail or “spice” to their piece. I have
attached a copy of the quarterly writing rubric that describes the specifics of
what we’re looking for. Please discuss
these components with your child.
On your child’s daily writing
pieces, they will receive one of the four types of smiley faces below. The purpose of the smiley face is to be an indicator
of overall writing quality for you and your first grader based on the
expectations listed above. Know that a
level three is what is expected and a four is above and beyond. Levels one and two are indicators that
improvements need to be made on future work.
Please let me know if
you have any questions about this writing rubric. You are welcome to check out pictures posted
on our classroom blog of our classroom example.
This is the example that is left up for students to reference. They can read the example and then compare their work to the example to see how their piece would score.
These are the writing examples that are on the purple poster for students to reference:
4.0 Smiley face with hat:
On Saturday, my family and I went to the Omaha Zoo. First, we had to pay at the gate. Then, we went to see the elephants. Elephants are my favorite animal because they have big ears and can walk quietly. The biggest elephant sprayed water. Then, we went to the gift shop and I got a toy. We went home. That was a fun day.
3.0 Smiley face:
On Saturday, my family and I went to the zoo. First, we had to pay. Then, we went to see the elephants. Elephants are my favorite animal. Then, I got a toy at the gift shop. We went home. It was fun.
2.0 Two eyes:
We went to the zoo. First, I saw the elephants. Then, I got a toy. We went home. It was fun.
1.0 One eye:
We went to the zoo. I saw the elephants. I got a toy. We went home.


No comments:
Post a Comment