Thursday, March 31, 2016

Taking Science Outside - Bobcat Brag

I hope your child came home yesterday full of excitement!  We were able to take our learning outside to have a valuable lesson and experience with wind.  Some mentioned that this was their first time flying a kite or that they had only done it once before.  We've been talking about air and weather.  Yesterday, we started a conversation about wind and what makes it windy.  Everyone enjoyed the opportunity and learned a lot!  It was exciting to see so many students writing their observations about the wind and the kite while we were outside enjoying the beautiful spring weather.

I have to take a moment and brag a bit... 

I had planned to do this activity on Friday, but when I looked at the forecast, I knew no one was going to want to go outside on Friday.  I called my grandparents and they were more than willing to come down and fly a kite with my class.  For those of you who don't know, my grandma, Judy Garbers, taught at Keystone Elementary for 30 years.  She has subbed in our classroom a couple times this year.  My grandpa, Dutch Garbers, wasn't a teacher.  However, he is a proud Bobcat and has been part of the "Chain Gang" for varsity football games since 1975.  I know some of you have memories of her as your second grade teacher and of him on the sideline of your football game.  They were both so excited and proud to be with our class yesterday.  I was so thankful for their patience and enthusiasm throughout this project.   My grandpa made it so every student was able to fly the kite and my grandma cheer them on from the dugout.   I'm feeling pretty blessed they were able to be part of our day.

Thanks to our student "Tech Team" for the pictures of this adventure!






















No comments:

Post a Comment