Monday, December 1, 2014

"I can..." Statements - Week of 12/1

I thought I would try something new as far as sharing this week's "I can..." statements.  Check out the video below.  I also included extra information about some of what your first grader will be learning this week and questions you can ask them to guide their thinking and learning at home.  



Story elements are parts of a story, including characters, setting, problem and solution.
Recognizing story elements enhances readers understanding and appreciation of a story
Understanding story elementary helps readers to create their own stories.

Information your first grader should be able to share after reading his or her take home book:  
The main character is...
A setting is when and where a story happens.  The story happens at...
The problem the characters faced was...
I can tell they solved the problem because...

Why is it important to identify and analyze story elements?
How does this help you as a reader?
How did summarizing and synthesizing help you understand?


No comments:

Post a Comment