Monday, August 19, 2013

First Day of FIRST GRADE!

We had a fabulous first day of FIRST GRADE!  We had a busy day full of assemblies, getting to know each other, routines, PBIS information, color fun and catching up with friends.  When children this age ask for a nap, I know they're tired!




The students LOVED their "Shine On in First Grade" notes you wrote them!  This was a great way to give them a little boost when they were feeling tired this afternoon.  If you'd like to surprise your child with another "Shine On" note throughout the school year, please feel free to do so.  I'd be glad to give you a copy of the one we used today, or feel free to use something you've got at home.



WATER BOTTLES:
Staying hydrated is one of the best things your student can do to soak up as much learning as possible in first grade.  If your student would like to bring a water bottle into the classroom, he or she is welcome to do so. We will fill these up every morning and they will be placed in a spot that is easy to access without being a distraction to learning.  The following are a few things we'd like you to think about when picking a good water bottle for school:
  • Must be plastic or metal (no glass)
  • Reusable with a lid that fits tight
  • Small/Normal size (no larger than 24 oz)

  Please let me know if you have any questions.

TAKE HOME BOOKS:
As you know, reading is one of our highest priorities in first grade.  It is also the year your child is expected to grow the most.  This is no easy feat.  With plenty of collaboration and hard work, we can instill a love for learning and reading in your child.  I sent a "Take Home Book" home with each student today.  Please read the book and fill out the paper every evening.  If you are concerned the book I sent is not a good fit for your child, please email me and we can work through the bumps.  I used the information given to me from each student's kindergarten test scores to decide on the level of book they received today.  We can make changes if necessary as I'm sure there has been some fluctuation over the summer.

THANK YOU for letting me spend the day with your awesome children.  I really look forward to getting to each and every one of them better.  I am also looking forward to a great year with these kind, energetic and curious kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment